Monday 7 July 2008

First Thursdays

Thursday just gone was the first thursday of the month and that means late open doors in a whole bunch of galleries in the East end...

I went out to a few places for a look at some openings and also took advantage of a few cheeky free beers, first off stumbled across Hot Pursuit at the Standpoint Gallery an exhibition of pieces by young people in Hackney schools in association with standpoint education...The exhibition was real nice, theres something refreshing about work done by kids and some of it was really interesting and more thoughtful than some of the pretentious shit you sometimes see about...







The second show I went to I will not blog any photos, as I wasn't too keen on the work which even reflected in the atmosphere in the exhibition which was dry as anything, it was disappointing as the gallery is one I go to often and was expecting something similar to that which I have seen before...Plus the battery was running low on the camera and thought I'd save it...

Luckily found a real nice show of work just around the way by Kate McMorrine and Alec Strang showing in Concrete Hermit, the battery was running low but managed to grab a few shots before it died...






Lastly managed to get round to Stolen Space to see the Ronzo show they currently have on...This was a quality show especially the carved gargoyles of Ronzo characters which I would happily have around my house, the show had a good variation of diorama style pieces to canvases and sketches and the big cutout lettering in the middle of the room...As nice as it was the camera was dying badly so only managed one shot before the thing went to sleep, next time maybe i'll make sure its charged before I go on a gallery visit...


No comments: